Monday 31 March 2008

Long days and short days

As I explained in my last post, Saturday was my eldest son's birthday. We all got up nice and early, presents and cards were given (including a card from Custard our dog which featured the following joke: "How do you make a cat flap", "Throw him off a cliff"). He was very pleased with what he got, mainly a load of cash and some computer games. I then cooked breakfast of eggs, bacon, sausage, beans and bread rolls, which went down really well.

We could not really go very far because my daughter had hurt her back dancing at school, but the boys did not seem interested in going out anyway, disappearing upstairs to install games and expansion packs and then set about a day of global war - on their computers that is, not real life. Not yet, anyway.

The day passed with the kids appearing from time to time for snacks, with Birthday Boy making up the most wonderful nachos with salsa, home made cheese sauce and jalapinoes for those that wanted them. In the evening Arthur and I went for a walk with the dog in the hope that this would help us make space for dinner, and it worked. When we got home I went to the local Chinese takeaway and got a nice mix of things for us all to share, finding a couple of new favourites in the process.

Sunday I woke up to find that the clocks had changed to summertime, meaning that I had just lost an hour! I don't normally worry about this happening, but this time I felt a bit cheated. Perhaps it was because the Saturday had seemed so long and relaxing? Anyway, the day was pretty much a re-run of Saturday, without the Chinese food, but including my wife and I sneaking out on our own (shock, gasp!!) for a trip the the local DIY store for some new shelves for the boys' room which is about to be redecorated in orange and blue with Japanese cartoon characters on the walls. Should be interesting...

In the evening we watched the movie "Click". If you have not seen this movie, give it a try. I was dubious about it at first thinking it would be a fairly lame comedy. It starts off pretty funny but then takes a sudden twist and becomes very dark with a powerful message for all to see. I really enjoyed it.

Have a good week everyone!

11 comments:

terri said...

In my mind, that is the perfect way to spend a birthday weekend... just relaxing and doing what you love and eating what you like.

I saw Click and was surprised by it too. Not your typical Adam Sandler fare.

Ali said...

Sounds like a perfect weekend to me.
I didn't like Click very much - don't know why, just not one of my favourites.

Rock Chef said...

Terri - Yes, it was a good weekend. This is only the 2nd of his movies that I have seen - the other one was Anger Management which Jack Nichollson just totally stole.

Ali - It just struck a chord with me - so many people seem to live their lives on fast-forward and miss so much along the way.

Chris said...

You just like the slow motion jogging scene.....

That scene isn't quite as disturbing as the jogging scene in "Juno" though.....too much beef, if you know what I mean.

Jen said...

I thought "Click" was going to be laughing out loud and then found myself completely saddened. I was sorely depressed after watching it. Not what I had expected at all.

"Punch Drunk Love" was also a good one, unexpectedly so, by Adam Sandler. Give that one a go. . .

amazingbrenda said...

Great weekend! Glad Arthur enjoyed his birthday.

Have not yet seen click, maybe this week.:)

kenady said...

Sounds like the perfect weekend! Glad you got some father-son time with Arthur. Those special, one-on-one moments are the ones that always stay with me. Like when my dad would take me out for my birthday dinner (or lunch), just the 2 of us. It's burned in my memory and I just want to provide that for my kids as well. Anyway, I digress, as always.

Haven't seen Click. Will try to remember to check it out.

Kiki said...

I love weekends like that...completely unhurried and relaxed, surrounded by people you love.

I think I am skipping Click because I heard its too sad....ummm like in dad sort of way.

Rock Chef said...

Chris - Haven't seen Juno - might avoid it totally now!

Jen - I was surprised by it, but liked it more than I thought I would. Will look out for the other film.

AmazingBrenda - Hope you enjoy it.

Kenady - You are right, the one to one memories are priceless.

Kiki - Yes, I can understand that. There are some things that I try to avoid because they stir up too many memories.

Kimberly McKay said...

Our blog...It's up now...come back! :)

Rachael Rae Diaries said...

Wow what fun you guys had! It sound like number 1 son enjoyed his birthday! Wasn't a big fan on Click but it was watchable!